Mechanical Engineer: Inflation Rig
Team: Balloon Project
Working Hours: 11am to 4.30pm Saturdays
Location: Electical Engineering Building (G17) 120
Minimum Commitment: 12 Months
Want to take our payload to new heights? BLUEsat Balloon Project is recruiting a mechanical engineering student (or related degree) with good Makerspace handiness to design and manufacture a new inflation rig for our helium balloons, to carry a payload platform of up to 20kg into near-space!
This NATO backed project is the perfect place to show off your awesome skills, and will make you highly sought after by employers. If accepted, you will have immediate impact in developing the tools and procedures necessary for a successful balloon launch. Your knowledge will be put to practical use to create something that you can be proud of.
You will be responsible for designing, maintaining and testing the inflation rig on the balloon.
• General experience with CAD
• General experience with UNSW Makerspace equipment.
• Good research skills.
• The ability to read datasheets.
• Good documentation skills.
• Knowledge of fluids.
• Availability of 10+ hours a week.
• An opportunity to work on a NATO funded research project.
• Access to networking events with the space industry.
• An opportunity to practise and develop your software engineering skills.
• Access to a community of like-minded people passionate about space.
• Be recognised by future employers for your technical and soft skills.